Close up of a purple flower in a garden

The threat of climate change has seen a rise in homeowners looking at ways to cut carbon emission. Installing a green roof has many benefits to both your home and the environment. If you want to make your home more eco-friendly, your roof shouldn’t be neglected. This low-cost solution will liven up your home and help reduce your carbon footprint.

What is a Green Roof?

A green roof is a roof that is covered either partly or entirely with vegetation. The vegetation is grown over layers of waterproof materials. Anything that grows in containers on a roof is not a green roof. There are two types of green roofs:

• Extensive – the soil layer is 6 inches or less
• Intensive – the soil layers is greater than 6 inches
Green roofs are best suited to a flat roof on a home. When installing a green roof, the location needs to be structurally strong and have adequate access to water.

Installing a Green Roof on a New Home

Installing a green roof on a new building is ideal. Builders and engineers can work out what support structures are needed for the roof. Determining the location of a green roof early in the design process is necessary for the construction of the roof.

Installing a Green Roof on an Existing Home

Before you start planning your green roof, a structural engineer needs to inspect the roof. The added weight of a green roof can add a more than 100kg onto your home or garage. If your home is not suited for a green roof, new load bearings will need to be fitted.

Benefits of a Green Roof

A standard green roof will cost around $200-$400 per square metre to build. The cost of installation of a green roof will save you in the long run. As well as the financial benefits, the environment will benefit greatly. The benefits of a green roof include:

• Insulation – the added weight of your home will help keep it cool in summer and warm in winter.
• Stormwater management – rainwater runoff ends up in our storm water, which filters down to our waterways. Green roofs trap and absorb as much as 90% of the rainwater from our roofs. The remaining 10% is evaporated into the Earth’s atmosphere.
• Improved air quality – trees and plants absorb carbon dioxide and filter out gases. This decreases our reliance on electricity and reduces the amount of CO2 we emit.
• Edible – if you grow herbs in your green roof, you have easy access to them. Fresh, organic produce grown in your home will save you money and the taste can’t be beaten.

As roofing specialists, the team at Roof Top Industries pride themselves on delivering exceptional service to customers. If you would like to learn more about our roofing services or the latest roof trends, get in touch with us on 08 9309 3993. Our staff will happily assist you with any questions you may have.